Where to get Sushi in Dublin - Michie Sushi - Dún Laoghaire

It's a rainy Friday night, I've just had a massage and I'm hungry. Himself picks me up and we move through the rain-slicked streets to the pre-determined dinner destination of Michie Sushi.

It took me years to really get sushi. My first experience with it was an awful pre-packaged box of the stuff from Tesco (own brand) around 12 years ago now. My underdeveloped taste buds did not appreciate the nuanced pairing of pickled ginger and soy along with other things, so it wasn't a pleasant time. 

Some years later, having heard people rave about it and knowing that basing my sushi assumptions on a single supermarket offering wasn't giving it a fair go, I tried it again. Dear Reader, I married it. 

Since that second bite, I've been hooked. Sushi, for me, is the perfect food when I don't know what I'm in the mood for. It blends the options of tapas with the freshness of seafood, along with the delicate balance of asian flavours to create tasty morsels of salty and sweet delights. 

Like most wonderful things, sushi is kept to an occasional treat for me. I like to seek out nice spots around Dublin and go in and gorge every few months. 

But to-go offerings in supermarkets have much improved; Glorious Sushi which is stocked in SuperValu and M&S own range are particular stand out's. 

One of my spots that I like to go to is Michie Sushi in Dún Laoghaire. It's a small set up, under 20 covers probably, and it's always busy whenever I've gone in. I'm always get excited as soon as I sit down in there because I know that no matter what I choose, I'm in for a treat.

Plus, they pay attention to little details, like their chopsticks, which I would really like to buy if I could.




Their menu is extensive and for the sushi newbie, helpfully has a guide in the top right corner to explain the different types.





We were pretty hungry, so we ordered without abandon: Gyoza, Salmon Ura Maki, Salmon & Tuna Combo and Seared Beef Salad. We had all the food just placed on the table, sharing style, and dug in. 


These were the Gyozas, which came with a delicious dipping sauce that I just wanted to drink straight. 



Then there was the Salmon Ura Maki.




At the centre was our Salmon & Tuna combo.



And finally, the Seared Beef Salad.


We ate it all, passionately, tenderly, happily. It is impossible to pick particular favourites, the quality of all the dishes was consistently good. But Himself expressed particular delight at the salad while I ate more than my fair share of the gyozas. The sushi itself was fresh, snappy to the bite and came with some perfectly pickled ginger - which I now adore. 

We both had a glass of white wine each and the entire bill came to a 47.15 - a very reasonable amount considering the amount of food we had and how good it was, along with the wine. 

If you haven't ever had sushi, go to Michie. If you haven't had the right sushi, go to Michie. If you are looking for somewhere to get some sushi, go to Michie. They are one of the best in Dublin at what they do. With outlets in Sandyford, the IFSC and Ranelagh offering eat in and take away options, it's easy enough to access. 

Your belly will be happy and your soul will feel better for it. I'm already wondering how long I need to wait before I can go back. 

Comments

Popular Posts