Sticky Sweet Pork Shoulder

For many years, pork shoulder was an unsung hero.

Until the hipster brigade came along and became obsessed with pulling it, pork shoulder had been under-appreciated and underused. 

[On a side note, I saw the trend birthing; I lived in DC in 2011 when all meats were pulled and smothered in a sickly sweet Jack Daniels sauce and you couldn't turn a corner without finding a cupcake store.] 

A meat that requires more cooking time than lean chicken or beef mince, it wasn't considered a weekly staple for meals. But thanks to the aforementioned hipsters, by 2016 everybody had eaten pulled pork out somewhere and were now keen to recreate it for themselves at home. 

I must confess, I'm not a devotee to Pulled Pork. I prefer my shoulder basted, marinated, slow roasted and sliced.



I like to slather it in between thick, buttery slices of bread, maybe with some mayo and stuffing and make a hearty sandwich. I enjoy it with soft, salty mash, crunchy vegetables and a rich gravy. Sometimes, I just like it on it's own. The fat crispy and melting, the meat breaking apart in my fingers; meat juice running down my hands as I pop parcels of its delight into my mouth. 



Thankfully, pork shoulder remains a relatively cheap cut. No matter what way you want to eat yours, this is my go-to foundation recipe for any pork shoulder dish. Exceedingly simple, the oven does all the hard work for you. Just slather over the marinade and wait with anticipation for the tender meat to arrive. 

STICKY SWEET PORK SHOULDER
1 boned and rolled pork shoulder
2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of freshly chopped sage 
1 teaspoon of sea salt + extra for skin
1 teaspoon of black pepper 

Pre-heat oven to 185 degrees celsius. 
Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl. 
Score pork fat and rub salt into fresh grooves. 
Place pork shoulder in a deep dish oven tray and pour over marinade. 
Cover meat with tinfoil and place in oven. Cook for 90 minutes. 

Comments

Popular Posts