Avoca Haul: Beef Cheek & Shin

Ooh, the excitement I feel going food shopping.

The same happiness stirs itself whether I'm going to Lidl or Fallon & Byrne - it's the endless opportunity for new food creation that invigorates me. But I will admit, I get a special thrill venturing into somewhere new, never knowing what treasures lie within.

Boy was I glad that we stopped by Avoca in Rathcoole on the way home from the Japanese Gardens last Wednesday. I've been into some of the other outlets before, but this was by far the biggest one I've been in.

Beautifully laid out and inviting, as all their stores are, I had to limit myself on how much I would buy. Himself even came to check I wasn't buying more than we could feasibly fit in the kitchen. So while I demonstrated discipline, I was delighted with my choices.



First up, their butchers section is great, they have a fantastic selection of high quality meats. Despite the fact that cheaper cuts of meat have been in vogue for sometime now, I still find it hard to get my hands on these low and slow babies. Even the great local butchers I venture to around Dalkey and Ballybrack usually have to order in these cuts. So I was over the moon when I spotted some less traditional cuts in Avoca.


I've never made an Osso Bucco before or cooked with Beef Shin before, so I can't wait to try it out later this week. The meat is marbled beautifully and I just know that bone in the middle is going to pack some serious flavour. I'm already fantasising about scrapping the unami marrow out and spreading it on toast. 


At 4.59, I also think it's incredibly good value. That portion will happily serve the two of us, with perhaps a bit left over for snacking. 

I also picked up some Beef Cheek from the same brand, James Whelan


I first tried Beef Cheek last year when we went for dinner in the basement of Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street. It had been sealed, slowly cooked and then covered in a rich jus, served with ice-cream like mashed potato. It was a deeply satisfying, simple dish that I'm looking forward to recreating at home. Again, exceptionally good value for the cut and once again, the quality of meat is evident from the look. 


As tempted as I was to pick up one of the stores rustic loaves, I know that it wouldn't all be consumed and rather than see food go to waste, I downsized and picked up 1/4 loaf of some Sourdough Bread. We added some home-cooked Corned Beef, pickled cabbage, mayo and mustard to create a delicious evening snack. The denseness of sourdough bread against the chunky, salty meat and tangy pickled cabbage was perfect. 


Even though there's a glut of sweet things in the house at any one time, I couldn't resist picking up some Border biscuits. This snack pack is ideal for a ditherer like me who can never decide what packet of biscuits they want to pick up. Their whirls and cookies are crumbly delights with a mug of tea. 


Naturally, no trip to Avoca is complete without some freshly baked goods. I picked up 3 scones; one plain, an apple and almond one and a fruit one. All were delicious and it is truly impossible to pick a favourite. I also scoffed them over the course of a few days and am happy to report that they were as tasty as the day they were baked. 

Where are your favourite places to shop for food? Let me know in the comments box.

Xoxo 








Comments

Popular Posts