Cold Mornings, Comfort Evenings - HEALTHY Comfort Dinner

Without trying to sound like your Mother beJAYSUS it's cold out there. 

The only thing this unseasonably cold weather has done so far - apart from chill my kidneys - is put some premature festive songs in my head (you know the ones I'm on about) and have me craving bowls of comfort and steaming food. 

Given that I work in TV land, I'm trying harder not to give in to the later (I figure once I don't sing any C-word songs aloud, I'm fine) which isn't always easy when you're working long shifts with changing time deadlines and fluctuating content

I usually try and minimize the temptation option by batch cooking lunches/dinners on my day off - I hate wasting food, so once I have them prepped, it doesn't matter how tempted I am by the chips in the canteen, I'll stick with my brown bag lunch, ta.

Which my stomach, along with my bank account, thanks me for. No matter how good that first bite of a salty chip tastes as my tongue launches into a veritable breakdance at the savoury deliciousness, it isn't long before the stomach is cursing the fact that my mouth and not my brain is making the dietary decisions. 


But genuinely, it is hard to beat a homecooked meal - which is why last Monday I happily made up a batch of Browned Chicken Thighs in Herb Tomato & Veg Sauce with Spinach and Baked Potatoes that I've already eaten once this week and plan on eating again tomorrow. 



It's such a hearty dish, it's fantastic that it's also really healthy. The use of tinned tomatoes, supplemented with herbs and seasoning makes it a lot healthier than using a jar of sauce full of sugar and unpronounceable ingredients. The thighs are packed with flavour (I personally prefer the dark meat over the breast) and once they're sealed in a pan, need little effort to turn into something incredibly tender and delicious. 



The heat of the sauce wilts generous handfuls of fresh spinach, so even if you're not a massive spinach fan like me, you'll hardly notice you're eating it - and it will pack a hard vitamin punch to your cold body. And baked potatoes? Topped with a little bit of grated cheese? That just screams comfort - while the potato skins will provide you with necessary fiber.

With only 10 minutes prep time and 40 minutes cooking time, this is a dinner that you can easily prep after work and be sitting down to watch Gogglebox in your pjs before you can say "microwave meal". 



BROWNED CHICKEN THIGHS W/ HERB TOMATO & VEG SAUCE 

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius

4 Chicken Thighs
1 jar of tinned tomatoes
Fresh Oregano and Basil, chopped
1 red onion, diced
3 cloves of fresh garlic, sliced
1 carrot, grated
400g of frozen veg
200g fresh green beans
125g fresh spinach (per serving)
4 baby new potatoes, medium (per serving)
1 tablespoon of grated cheese (per serving)
Light Cooking Spray Oil

- Spray a heavy based pan with the cooking spray and heat up. Add red onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until they soften.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin side down, and continue to cook on a high heat for ten minutes.
- As the chicken cooks, par-boil your potatoes for 8 minutes, then drain. Cut a cross into the skin and give a spray with the cooking oil. Transfer to baking tray.
- Transfer pan contents into an oven dish and make sure the chicken is placed skin side up. Add in green beans, veg, tinned tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a pre-heated oven and allow to cook uncovered for 40 minutes, along with the par-boiled potatoes.
- Place your fresh spinach in a bowl and add a chicken thigh along with the sauce. Add your baked potatoes and sprinkle grated cheese on top.

Consumption on a tray in front of a TV is optional, but highly recommended. 

Comments

Popular Posts