Scones, 3 ways

I love making baked goods for other people.

I remember watching a TV show many years ago (I think it was Jamie's American Road Trip, actually) and learning the reason why soul food was called so; it's the idea that you stir in a bit of your soul into whatever it is you're making. You're imparting your love and affection to the other person - attending to a basic human need of nourishment.

So I firmly believe that when you make food with somebody else in mind, you're effort and time makes it taste just that bit better. It might not be perfect, but it's made with caring.

So last night, with a visit in mind to someone particular today, I decided to make some scones. Baking homemade goods brings my imagination back to a time when you wouldn't visit somebody else without bringing along something to eat. Perhaps a simple loaf of bread or something sweet as a treat.

I was brought up with this kind of thinking, that it was good manners to always supply something when going to visit in somebody else's homes. I think it's a really lovely tradition and it's one I like to keep up.

Depending on who it is I'm visiting, I'll decide what to make. If there are going to be children, some cupcakes or cookies never go wrong. Someone who has a particular sweet tooth, I make my decadent chocolate brownies. A gathering with a few people calls for a Toblerone Cheesecake or some Banoffee with Salted Caramel.

On this occasion, I decided scones were the best fit. Homely, comforting and something simple that can be taken up a level with a few additions.

Scones are so simple to make and the method of rubbing the cold butter into the flour and sugar is true, old-school home baking. Scones require a light touch so once this is done, I try to handle them as little as I can, using a wooden spoon to mix in the butter and a quick roll on a floured surface to bring the dough together and shape the pastry.

Only ten minutes in an oven at 200 degrees Celsius presents you with these morsels:



Now, these would've been gorgeous as fresh from the oven with a spread of some irish butter and fresh jam - or maybe some clotted cream.

But I decided that I wanted to kick them up a level. So I decided to give them three different toppings; Apple & Cinnamon Scones, Strawberry Scones and S'more Scones. Only requiring a little bit of extra effort, these toppings took them from a basic but delicious treat to something a bit more glamorous:


I won't deny it, I scoffed down two of them last night. I regret nothing. Recipe below.

Xoxo

SCONES, 3 WAYS
(makes 12 small scones)

100g self raising flour
100g cold Irish butter
100g caster sugar
150ml of fresh milk
Pinch of salt

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius

- Sieve the the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Dice butter into cubes and rub into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in the milk and using a wooden spoon, combine to bring dough together.
- Lightly dust a surface with flour and roll out your dough to your desired thickness. Use an upturned glass to cut out shapes in the pastry.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray and bake at 200 degrees celsius for 10 minutes.


TOPPINGS 

S'MORES 
12 mini marshmallows
4 squares of plain chocolate
1 digestive, crushed

(Makes 4)

- Arrange toppings on top of scones (it can be a bit tricky) and place under a grill for 3-5 minutes. Remove scones and using the back of a spoon, squish and press ingredients together.

APPLE & CINNAMON
12 thin apple slices
50g of cold irish butter
70g of icing sugar
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon

(Makes 4)

- Beat butter, icing sugar and cinnamon together until a soft icing is made. Spread on top of scones and top with apple slices.

STRAWBERRY SCONES 
4 teaspoons of strawberry jam (I used Kearns)
4 strawberries, thinly sliced
Icing sugar to dust

(Makes 4)

- Top scones with jam and arrange strawberry slices on top. Dust with icing sugar.

Comments

Popular Posts