For Cheese Lovers #DublinerChallenge

I must confess something. As mad as I am about food, there's one type that I'm reluctant to be adventurous with - cheese. 

For a long time, I didn't even like cheese (along with eggs, which I now love and mushrooms, which I still dislike). It took a long time for me to even be able to eat it unless it was fully melted. But now, I enjoy a ham and cheese sambo no problem. I happily chomp on tomato and mozzarella salad. Parmesan is a taste sensation that I try to include in everything. 

I do, however, draw the line at cheese boards. I have tried more than once to conquer my taste deficits and learn to love them the way himself (and all the family) does. It's become a running joke that every time the cheese and crackers are brought out, I'm either munching crisps or filling my wine glass. 

However, the recent Dubliner Cheese Challenge got me to think outside the box. You just had to create a recipe using their cheese and tweet them a picture - simples. But of course, I always like things with a twist. 

Given that I hold such a dread for the traditional cheese board (do not even MENTION blue cheese to me, uck) I wondered what it would be like if I turned the expectations of one on its head? I'm naturally more of a sweet tooth at the end of a meal anyway, what if I did a trio of desserts but styled as a cheese board? 



So I began to do a bit of research and was intrigued by the sweet and savoury partners of a strong cheddar cheese. I don't think I ever would've thought to try pear and cheese together if a chef hadn't swore blind that they go beautifully together. 

The whole task has opened my eyes quite a bit and I will definitely be a bit more daring with my cheese foray's in the future. 

Voilà - Vicky's Cheese Board: featuring Cheddar Pear Crumble, "Cheese"cake and Rosemary & Cheese Scones. It's the first cheese board I've ever finished! 

Recipes below

P.S - I happily used Dubliner Cheese in all the recipes. 

Xoxo

PEAR & CHEESE CRUMBLE 

Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius 

1/2 cup self-raising flour 
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 grated cheese (I used Dubliner White) 
1/4 soft Irish butter
6 cups of peeled and sliced pears 
1 tablespoon of lemon juice 
3 tablespoons of cornstarch 
3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon 

- Mix flour everything but pears and lemon juice in a bowl together. Use your hands to rub butter into other ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs. 
- Place pears in a greased baking tin, sprinkle over lemon juice and a dash of cinnamon. 
- Pack crumble mixture on top tightly, covering all the pears. Bake for 10 minutes in oven until the top is golden brown. 

ROSEMARY CHEDDAR SCONES 

Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius 


6oz self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary 
150g grated cheese (Dubliner White) 
175ml of milk (less, if needed)
1 egg beaten 

- Mix flour, salt, rosemary and 100g of cheese. 
- Slowly add milk, bringing mix together. Only use all the milk if mixture looks dry, you want to avoid it becoming very wet. 
- Tip onto a floured work surface and shape. Brush top with egg and sprinkle over remaining cheese. 
-Bake in oven for 12 - 14 minutes 

CHEDDAR "CHEESE"CAKE 

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius 

2/3 cup of crushed crackers (I used Ritz) 
3 tablespoons of melted butter 
2 packs of soft cream cheese 
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce 
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder 
2 eggs
2 cups of grated cheese (I used Dubliner Vintage) 

- Mix crackers and butter to make cheesecake base and bake for 5 minutes in oven. Beat cream cheese and then add in Worcestershire sauce, mustard and eggs. Beat again and then add in grated cheese. 
- Spread over top of cracker base and bake in oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. 
- Top with chutney for "coulis". 




Comments

Popular Posts