Dalkey Days: Eggs and Battered Oreo's

It was too nice not to go out for some brekkie today.

A little worse for wear after a late night and some drinks, myself and Himself decided to head down to Dalkey for some sustenance.

I absolutely love Dalkey. It has all the charm of a country village, but one that's near the sea and has much trendier shops.

On more than one occasion, I have made the short hop on the dart (one stop) to go down and simply potter around - possibly picking up some salmon in Roberts, checking what goods are on offer in Thyme Out, rambling into the library and then maybe over to The Magpie - or that time I watched my first rugby match in Finnegans

There are so many fantastic places to eat in Dalkey, it's rather amazing how many eateries and pubs there are on just a few streets. I can't recommend a trip out there enough, it's a little slice of heaven.

In saying that, I definitely have a few favourite places in Dalkey - one of which is the area known as The Tramyard.

Once a place of hard labour and machinery, it now houses a low-priced book store, a sweet shop, a newly opened bike rental and of course, The Tramyard Cafe.

Picturesque pretty, the Tramyard has expanded its menu over time and now offers a breakfast, lunch and dinner service. I've eaten here on more than one occasion and generally, the food has been impeccable.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case today. Wanting to perch out on their pretty veranda and soak up the sun, we decided to go there for our hangover munch.

I ordered some poached eggs and bacon off the breakfast menu (which they were still serving) and the other half went with the salmon off the lunch menu.

Both arrived looking lovely, as you can see from this picture of my eggs


Unfortunately, my eggs were rather undercooked and I discovered less than halfway through my food that I had to send it back.

Normally, their food and service is impeccable so I am not disheartened by this - I will be back again and I'm sure it will be delicious. Everybody has a bad day.

However, for the sake of transparency, I'm including the detail in this post.

Ironically, another new arrival has opened in the Tramyard, focused on all things egg.


Cracked, which is right beside the newly opened bike rental place (who are hoping to get electric bikes in too to their selection in time) is currently only opening on the weekends, so I was too early to sample their goods.

But I did get to have a look at the menu and it sounds delicious. Definitely want to get over to check them out soon.


The fillings and combinations sound fantastic and the prices are very reasonable. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

On the way back to the car, I couldn't help but notice a sign in the local chipper on the main street. Have a look.



Yes, my friends. You're reading that righ. Battered Oreo's. I can't make up my mind about this one... Should I try them? 

Anyway, I'm going to leave you today with one of my favourite egg recipes, especially during the Summer. Quick, easy and nutritious. Just cook the eggs fully. 

Xoxo


BAKED EGGS AND ASPARAGUS 
1 egg for each person
2 stalks of asparagus for each person
10g of parmesan for each person 
Salt & pepper 
Butter to grease ramekin 


- Grease a ramekin for each serving. Crack egg into it and pop in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius and bake for 5 - 8 minutes (depending on how runny you like your egg)
- Heat a griddle pan and pour in two tablespoons of olive oil. Break off the woody ends of the asparagus and cook on a medium heat for 8 minutes until just tender.
- Remove eggs from oven and plate them. Place asparagus beside eggs and sprinkle over the Parmesan. Season lightly with some salt and pepper.
- Feel free to serve with a side salad or some tomato salsa (see below) 


VICKY'S TOMATO SALSA

- 4 fresh tomatoes 
- Sea salt
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Fresh basil

- De-seed tomatoes and chop into cubes. Place in a glass bowl and pour over the rest of the ingredients. Stir and cover with clingfilm and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.   




Comments

Popular Posts