Rainy Days & Doughnuts

Where did the sunshine go?

I'm not happy with this drizzly, misty thing the weather has going on. It's more suited for the days when children are starting a new school year while I scour for chestnuts in the park.

But here it is. My afternoon wouldn't have been free yesterday except for the weather (specifically, a lack of wind - the heartbreak of any sailor) and at a loose end and minimal desire to spend a lot of time outdoors with the changeable skies, I did what I do best - I baked.

After watching the Food Network for a bit, I found myself longing for some doughnuts. Hot and fresh and sugary.

Not wanting to mess around with vats of hot oil, frying the pastry, I decided to adapt and make baked doughnuts instead. I know, I know - not the traditional method. However, by baking the doughnuts they were not only a lot healthier, they were a lot less tasking to make. The hand-shaped dough was put onto a greased tray and when left to do it's own thing for ten minutes, rose to the occasion beautifully.

It also meant that I could devote a lot of time, effort and creativity to creating different toppings and fillings - which really is my favourite part of any doughnut.


I might have a bit of a mutiny on my hands in the house though. I guess I've been baking a bit more than usual and there's only so much that the household can put away! Although, as I've pointed out to himself, I've yet to throw any of my creations in the bin as they all make their way into a happy belly.

Anyway, the flavours below are: Oreo Crunch Doughnuts, Cinnamon Sugar and Toasted Marshmallow & Vanilla Glaze



Followed by Cornflakes & Milk, Coco Pops & Toffee Creme and the classic Jam doughnut. 


Between yesterday and today, I've basically been surviving on doughnuts and I am perfectly fine with that. So much so, I may have had some for breakfast and lunch today with a steaming mug of tea as the rain continues to drizzle outside.

There's one person who definitely would've said I was mad, in a nice way, with my inventions and that's my Dad. Today is his first month anniversary. So I hope you're having a chuckle Papa Bear.

Xoxo


HOMEMADE DOUGHNUTS 
Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees celsius

1 cup of soft Irish butter
1 + 1/2 cup of caster sugar
2 eggs
3 cups of self-raising flour
4 + 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
1 cup of milk

- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. beat eggs and add in sugar, beating well as you go along.
- Add the milk a bit at a time, alternating the butter and the vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until fully combined. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry and separate into balls, then press flat. Using a shot glass, cut out a hole in the centre of each bit of pastry.
- Lightly grease a baking tray and place doughnuts across tray (you'll probably need two trays).
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until browned.
- Allow to cool and then top with whatever you like*

*If you want to know how to make up any of the toppings I did, just comment and let me know.

Comments

Popular Posts