FOODIE PROFILE - ROOT JUICES - LONG READ

Deborah Sherlock always had a "keen interest" in nutrition. As a teenager, she loved "recipes and science", so when it came on deciding what to do after school, her path was clear - she went to college and studied Microbiology and Nutrition. 

But getting from there to setting up her own juice range was a less obvious journey. 




"When I finished college I worked on a short contract with UCD on a European childhood obesity study. When I finished that I found there wasn’t a huge pool of available jobs in nutrition in Sligo. I decided to start with some weight-loss programmes and they really took of for me so shortly after I opened Proactive Nutrition and its been growing ever since."

With a focus on performance nutrition in sport, during pregnancy and weaning, Deborah believes "that chronic disease can be somewhat prevented through the correct nutrition and a healthy lifestyle." 

Such healthy attitudes began at home. "My whole family are vegetarian so I suppose you could say the interest and awareness in food was in my home."

Deborah, like many other business', started a Facebook page for her company "always promoted the benefits of juices there", believing in their power and knowing it would be of interest to people.  

"I was then asked by numerous people why wouldn’t I sell these juices so decided to take the plunge and take a stall at in my local town Strandhill Peoples Market."

With that "get stuck in" approach, it wasn't long before Root Juice was born. "Initially I started out with a good friend and like minded juice enthusiast but I took Root juice on on my own as time continued. Originally we juiced on site at the market and then decided to bottle them.
 The loyal following was growing and then some local businesses said they would stock them and it grew from there."





Made solely from fruit and vegetables sources as locally as possible, Deborah says "these fruits and vegetables are cold pressed slowly through a masticating juicer so there is no heat produced thus insuring maximum nutrient content. This slow method of juicing gives a lot less waste."

Deborah promotes "eating a rainbow", so the range and flavours on offer is as extensive as possible. Categorised by colours, her best sellers are 
Dark Green (spinach, celery, apple and mint), Yellow: (celery,  apple, turmeric, ginger, lemon),  Purple (beetroot, carrot, apple and lemon) and Orange (carrot, apple and ginger). 







But if you're anything like me, in our "clean eating" times, I find it very confusing trying to cut through the noise and figure out what actually *is* healthy for you. So I ask Deborah, what are the benefits of drinking juice? 

"Juice is a great way of taking in essential nutrients without the fibre content of a smoothie. One juice for example could contain the nutrients of 5 carrots, 1 apple and a piece of ginger. By adding one juice a day to your diet you will see dramatic increase in energy, skin, nails and hair health."

As someone who has perhaps watched one too many sugar documentaries, I can't help but query how good they are for you. What's the difference between drinking juices like these and drinking orange/apple juice from the carton?


"Commonly when you buy a juice in the supermarket it is made from juice concentrate. These apple/orange juices are highly processed and have a low nutrient profile and have an extremely high sugar content. "

"There is a misconception that all juice is created equally but it is important to read labels and to look at the expiration date of theses juices and buying freshly pressed juice is always best."

Given that my other half has told me (more than once), that's it's better to just eat fruit & veg as opposed to juicing it, I can't help ask Deborah for some clarification. "
This is a question I get asked a lot!" Deborah replies.

"And the answer is it really depends on your overall diet. Fibre in whole fruit and vegetables plays an important role in digestion. I recommend adding cold pressed juices alongside regular fruit and veg intake" she adds.

In our post-truth times (which feature heavily in so called 'fitness info' that floats around the internet ether, I ask Deborah what is the food myth that annoys her the most?


"Then one I see the most in my clinic is carbohydrate restriction. There are so many unqualified individuals out there giving the wrong advice. Unfortunately the term “nutritionist” isn’t legislated here in Ireland so there are lots of different opinions and beliefs out there" she tells me, a fact I find quite worrying.

"There are many misconceptions about food and how we should eat particularly for sports performance. We use carbohydrates as an energy source. It is so important we get that fuel from low G.I foods and in the correct amounts for our energy output."

"I do not like the term clean eating as it suggests that some foods are bad and should be avoided. In theory we should be able to eat anything we like and enjoy it if we lead an active lifestyle. Clean eating and fit fam is often concerned with manipulation of body morphology. To achieve it does not always include nutrient dense foods. Often these diets are high in animal protein, low in carbs and devoid of essential nutrients."

Deborah is a refreshing breath of fresh air with her sensible, balanced attitude - exactly what you want in a nutritionist. It's an approach she implements in her own eating. 

"I try to maintain an 80.20 rule and promote this with all my clients. I love savoury foods more so that sweet so I would say I indulge more on that. I love dips like hummus, guacamole and tortillas and am partial to a nice glass of red wine (occasionally)!"

In terms of cold press juices, Deborah recommends Irish people have one a day. "Most Irish people are not getting enough vegetables and fruits in their diets" she says. 

 As is my MO with these pieces, I ask Deborah what she would have for her last meal on earth. "It would probably be a veggie red Thai curry. I love Thai flavours"" she replies. 

In terms of the future of Root Juices, Deborah would love to "see more people include juices in their day to day diets" and "add more products" to her range. "Watch this space!" she adds. It's clear that her range is something she truly believes in;  "I firmly believe when you are enjoying a Root juice you are getting the very best nutrition from the vegetables and fruit that have been used" she says. 

You can get Root Juice in Kates Kitchen, Lyons Café and Bakeshop and WB’s Coffeehouse in Sligo. Deborah and Root Juices are also at Strandhill People's Market on Sunday's. All photos come from Root Juice Facebook Page. They are also on Instagram here.  

Comments

Popular Posts