Hansel & Gretel - More than Breadcrumbs... Soup & Sandwich Deal

In my tired state last night (I basically passed out on the couch before 11pm and human purred as Himself rubbed my head), I didn't bother to do any lunch prep.

Making it this morning was just *not* happening and with the miserable weather currently blanketed over the city, I was in need of something comforting for lunch today. 

I decided to give my patrongage to Hansel & Gretel Bakery and Patisserie which is located near my office on Merrion Square. Our intern bought some cakes from there the other week that were delicious, so I wanted to see what they rest of their food was like.

Credit: Google Street View 

It's fairly compact inside and it is hard to resist the tables of temptation laden with a variety of cakes and cookies right in the middle of the shop. 

But I laser focused on the fridge and decided to try their Soup & Sandwich combo for €7.50. 


Their soup today was Green Vegetable with Coriander. I despise coriander (and the current vogue of putting it on and in everything) but I can normally tolerate it in soup, so I decided to run the risk. 

I then went with ham, honey mustard and some mixed salad on a crusty, artisan roll. 

The soup was lovely; nourishing and light, but still filling. The coriander was strong but bearable for me and I ate the whole lot. 

The bread is very crusty, so if you're a fan of soft rolls, this is not the option for you. There was some rather unattractive mouth tearing going on at my desk as I ate this. I, however, love bread in all its forms and found this one perfect for the filling. The honey mustard wasn't too sickly sweet and complemented the ham and tomatoes perfectly. 

I couldn't actually finish all the roll in one go so I'll be happily munching on the rest of it on the way home later. While the whole lot is a bit on the pricey side for a take away soup and sandwich, they are made with good quality ingredients. The food is fresh and filling and it's definitely not a bad option for a treat lunch. 

Comments

Popular Posts