Picnic Days: Steak Sandwiches, Crab & Salmon Pate

I love picnics. I love the whole ritual that goes into them; the planning of menus, the packing of blankets and cutlery, the little indulgences you might not normally allow yourself. 

Last week, himself took me out sailing for the day. So I decided I would pack the picnic for it. 

With anticipation and no clear set menu in mind, I pottered off to the shops after work to discover what treasures I could find. 

A crusty loaf of bread was the first thing that was picked up. The backbone of every picnic. I then cast my mind to fillings, not wanting to just settle for the bog standard ham and cheese variety. 

No, instead, I wandered the fresh meat aisles. Some minute steaks were tossed in the basket. A bit more of a walk took me to the seafood section - it seemed criminal to not include something from salt water for our floating picnic. 

Some salad, some cured meats. Cheeses for himself. Satisfied, I paid for my purchases and went home. 




 In less than an hour, I threw a small feast together. 












The steak was seared and gently pan-fried, keeping a little pink in the middle, then set aside to rest for a few minutes. 

I boiled eggs, peeled them, then along with the fresh crab meat and strips of smoked salmon, mixed together with a Hellman's Seriously Good Mayo (which I've recently fallen in love with) to create a fresh fish spread. To be honest, if I were doing this again, I would blend the whole lot to make a smooth and decadent pâté (recipe below) - but it tasted delicious anyway. 




Thin strips of salty pancetta were married to crusty bread with fresh pesto, a grating of mozzarella and some spicy rocket. 

The steak was sectioned in between mayo and lettuce leaves, crisp to the bite. 




With the remaining pesto, I made up the dressing for the salad and tossed the remainder of both leaves, fresh tomatoes, radishes and cucumber in together to create a beautiful medley. 



We set out Wednesday, initially to an overcast sea that soon brightened. We took her from the marina in Dun Laoghaire down into Killiney Bay were we settled for lunch, before bringing her back up again. 

The wind rushing through our hair, a splash or two of saltwater on our faces and our lunch in our bellies, we were happy out. 

There is something magical about large bodies of water; I firmly believe that have an incredible power to soothe. No matter what troubles you might have, the sea always makes me feel better. As the crashes of waves flow into my ears and the blusters of wind blow the cobwebs from my bones, I begin to feel less frazzled. I'm re-centred and better able to cope with the next obstacle that needs to be surmounted. 

Although going for a picnic on a boat isn't a practical activity for everyone, going for a picnic is. On any day that's dry and reasonably warm over the next few months, grab the opportunity to go dine outside, without the expense. 

Dublin is gifted with plenty of ideal spots for a picnic. Here's my top 10. 

Xoxo

P.S - recipe for my crab and salmon pâté is below


TOP 5 PICNIC SPOTS 

Malahide Park
(Credit: Malahide Park) 



Rolling green hills plus a deadly playground for kids (and big kids like me) to play in 

Sandycove Beach 



A little slice of heaven on a sunny day. Just get there early if the weather is nice 

Howth Hill
(Credit: Fingaldublin) 


I love going up here, even in Winter, with a flask of Oxtail soup to keep me going. Epic views. 

The Canal 
(Credit: Wikipedia)




Probably best off for those without children. But it's hard to beat on a nice day with a glass of wine. 

Killiney Beach 
(credit: dlrcoco)


Okay so I'm a bit biased because it's just around the corner from my house but anytime spent here makes you feel like you're in another world. 


CRAB AND SMOKED SALMON PATE 

140g fresh crabmeat
140g smoked salmon
3 large eggs, boiled 
3 large tablespoons of mayo 
Pinch of salt to season 

- Blitz all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to cold jar/container. Spread in toast, bread or crackers and enjoy. 


Comments

Popular Posts